Ph.D. Student, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University
M.S. Civil, Environmental & Architectural Engineering, Korea University, 2011
B.S. Civil, Environmental & Architectural Engineering, Korea University, 2009
Chanhee is a second-year graduate student in the research group of Professor Menachem Elimelech in the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering at Yale. His research focuses on the development of novel osmotically-driven membrane processes for water purification and energy production.
Chanhee received his B.S. and M.S. degrees from Korea University, Seoul, South Korea. In his research at Korea University he analyzed fouling mechanisms unique to the forward osmosis (FO) membrane process, and contributed to the elucidation of performance deterioration during FO membrane filtration.
Chanhee first-year special investigation research deals with closed-loop membrane-based processes for converting waste heat to energy. In this effort, he is working with a group of graduate students and postdocs on a range of processes, including pressure retarded osmosis (PRO) and membrane distillation.
Chanhee believes that membrane processes can not only serve as a means of safe and abundant water supply but also have significant implications for the nexus of water, energy, and the environment in the next generation.
pdfs and supporting information for group publications available on the main publications page.
- Boo, C., Elimelech, M., and Hong S., “Fouling control in forward osmosis process integrating seawater desalination and wastewater reclamation.” Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 444, 2013, pages 148-156.
- Boo, C., Lee, S., Elimelech, M., Meng, Z., and Hong, S. “Colloidal fouling in forward osmosis: Role of reverse salt diffusion.” Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 390-391, 2012, pages 277-284.
- Lee, S., Boo, C., Elimelech, M., and Hong, S. “Comparison of fouling behavior in forward osmosis (FO) and reverse osmosis (RO)." Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 365, 2011, pages 34-39.
- Kim, B., Boo, C., Lee, S. and Hong, S. "Evaluation of forward osmosis (FO) membrane performances in a non-pressurized membrane system." Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment Volume 28, 2012, pages 292-299.
- Hong, K., Lee, S., Kim, C., Boo, C., Park, M., An, H., and Hong, S. “Evaluation of RO process feasibility and membrane fouling for wastewater reuse.” Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, Volume 26, 2010, pages 289-296.