Eng-info archive

[Prev][Next][Index]

TOURBUS/NY Times

TOURBUS/NY Times                                      ListSTAR(tm) by
StarNine(r)

Dear Colleagues -

Did I mention before that the New York Times is now on the Web? Free!

If I didn't, let me take the opportunity to do so now by way of a sample
copy of TOURBUS, a chirpy and generally informative enterprise about all
manner of Internet resources. And in case you're curious about that
urban legend "Navy Story" referred to, it follows below.

  --Peter

The following is an actual radio conversation released
by the US Chief of Naval Operations on 10 October 1995:

     NAVY:      Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to
                avoid a collision.

     CIVILIAN:  Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to South
                to avoid a collision.

     NAVY:      This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again,
                divert YOUR course.

     CIVILIAN:  No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

     NAVY:      THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER ENTERPRISE, WE ARE A LARGE
                WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!

     CIVILIAN:  This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Date: 1/25/96 6:29 PM
From: TOURBUS-REQUEST@LISTSERV.AOL.C
   /~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~/~~~|~\
  |     "Why | Surf When / You Can | Ride The | Bus?"   /    |  \
  |__________|__________/__________|__________|________/     |   \
 /                                                    /______|----\
/    Send INFO TOURBUS to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM   ///////|    |
|   Or visit http://csbh.mhv.net/~bobrankin/tourbus   |//////|    |
|                                                     |//////|    |
~~~/~~~\~/~~~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~~\~~~~
   \___/ \___/  T h e   I n t e r n e t   T o u r B u s  \___/

TOURBUS - THURSDAY, JANUARY 25
TODAY'S STOP: THE TIMES
TODAY'S STOPS: http://www.nytimes.com/
               http://www.nytimes.com/subscribe/sub-bin/new_sub.cgi
               http://www.nytimes.com/subscribe/verify/verify.cgi
               http://www.nytimes.com/info/contents/sections.html
               http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/front/quick.html
               http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/cynavi.html

Well, I'll admit it.  I'm embarrassed.  It turns out that the "Navy story"
about the aircraft carrier Enterprise and the lighthouse is in fact a very
old urban legend (probably created by someone on the USS Carl Vinson (I'M
KIDDING!!!)).  As an alert reader pointed out, the Enterprise/lighthouse
story has probably been floating around (no pun intended) since the days of
Lord Nelson and the HMS Victory.  This, of course, explains why Nelson won
the Battle of Trafalgar ... he had air support from the aircraft carrier
Enterprise.

+-----------------> Netscape Road Map Training Manual <-------------------+
| Now available for use by Trainers and Presenters.  This 55 page manual  |
| succinctly reviews the basic functions of Netscape 2.0.  Get your copy  |
| today for just $16. FREE info & sample chapter, E-mail: CDOMEYE@AOL.COM |

OH THE TIMES, THEY ARE A CHANGING
---------------------------------

If you are looking for proof that the World Wide Web is dominant force that
is here to stay, I think I've found it: The New York Times is now online!

Before you start celebrating and going "yippee" (and you do that a lot,
don't you?), there is some bad news: you have to have a graphical,
forms-capable Web browser like Netscape or Mosaic to be able to fully use
The New York Times Web pages.  Why?  Well, while The New York Times on the
Web is absolutely free to everyone, you need to "register" with The Times
to be able to access some of their pages ... and you have to have a
forms-capable browser in order to register :(

The New York Times main homepage is at

     http://www.nytimes.com/

and you can register with The Times for free by clicking on "REGISTRATION"
on The Times homepage, or by jumping directly to

     http://www.nytimes.com/subscribe/sub-bin/new_sub.cgi

After you register, The Times will send you a four digit verification code
through e-mail.  Once you get the verification code, jump on over to

     http://www.nytimes.com/subscribe/verify/verify.cgi

and plug in your New York Times subscriber ID and password (the ones that
you created when you registered with The Times), click on "log in," and
then enter your verification code when you are asked for it.

That sounds pretty difficult, but look on the bright side: you only have to
do this once :)

ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO ...
------------------------------

Once you have registered with The Times, you can jack-in to The Times
anytime you want by going to

     http://www.nytimes.com/

but your best bet is to jump directly to The New York Times "sections" page at

     http://www.nytimes.com/info/contents/sections.html

instead. Either address will work, but I've found that it is a little bit
easier to find your way around all of the Times' pages from the "sections"
page.

From the sections page, you can jump to any of the following sections
(imagine that!):

     FRONT PAGE             NEWS BY CATEGORY
     CYBERTIMES             POLITICS
     EDITORIALS/LETTERS     OP-ED
     ARTS & LEISURE         TRAVEL
     REAL ESTATE            JOB MARKET
     DIVERSIONS             ARCHIVES
     CLASSIFIEDS

Most of these categories are pretty self-explanatory.  "Front Page" has the
front page of the New York Times, as well as a really nifty "quick read"
summary service at

     http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/front/quick.html

(you can access this by clicking on the "quick read" icon on the sections
page) which, like NandO News (which we visited a little while ago), gives
you one paragraph summaries of the latest news stories, with hyperlinks to
the full articles.

While I like reading the news as much as the next person, one of my
favorite sections of The New York Times Web page is CYBERTimes at

     http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/cyber/index.html

which contains the latest news from the techno-world.  Also located in the
CYBERTimes section is The New York Times Navigator at

     http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/cynavi.html

which is a delightful collection of links to search engines, collections
for journalists, reference materials, on-line publications, Election '96
web pages, and other neat Internet resources.  According to the folks at
the Times, "Navigator is the home page used by the newsroom of The New York
Times for forays into the Web. Its primary intent was to give reporters and
editors new to the Web a solid starting point for a wide range of
journalistic functions without forcing each of them to spend time hacking
around blindly to find a useful set of links of their own."

Needless to say, The New York Times Navigator page is rapidly becoming one
of my favorite Web resources :)

I was going to talk about the op-ed section and make a joke about William
"congenital" Saffire, but I'll resist.  Instead, I'm going to bring today's
tour to a close and let you play around with The Times on your own.  I
*strongly* suggest that you take a look at The New York Times homepage at

     http://www.nytimes.com/

and take a look at all the news that's fit to ... well ... um ... SURF!

--------------------------------
TODAY'S SOUTHERN WORD OF THE DAY
--------------------------------

MARKINS - Noun. Citizens of the United States .
Usage: "My fellow Markins ..."
(Special thanks goes to Larry O'Glasser for today's wurd)

               (stop in for back issues and the logo contest)
  Advertising: E-mail BobRankin@MHV.net w/ Subject: SEND TBRATES

     TOURBUS - (c) Copyright 1996, Patrick Crispen and Bob Rankin
 All rights reserved.  Redistribution is allowed only with permission.
     Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to get on the Bus!

   /O O  ./      .'               Patrick Douglas Crispen
  {O__,   \    {                   pcrispe1@ua1vm.ua.edu
    / .  . )    \                The University of Alabama
    |-| '-' \    } ))    http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~crispen/crispen.html
  '---.~_ _ _&                       Warning: squirrels.

Yale Engineering Home | Main Index |