Following are instructions on how to prepare an Employee
Reimbursement (ER). ER’s must be filed within ten business
days after the date of completion of the trip or the date
on which the expenses were incurred. All Fields listed are
REQUIRED fields. If these fields are not filled out the form
will be returned to your mailbox for completion. The problem
area will be highlighted. See attached sample form. An electronic
version of the form is available at: http://www.yale.edu/ppdev/forms/quickforms.html.
You can download the excel version. It is a fillable form.
(PDF forms are available but are not typeable.) If you hand
write the information please write legibly.
- Pay To (Employee Name): Fill in your name here
- Special Handling: If you wish to have the check mailed
to your home do nothing here (if taking this option we recommend
you have us check to be sure your current address is in
the system. Otherwise check Hold for Pickup (Return to dept.
gets your check put in campus mail which could delay its
- Business Purpose/Explanation of Business Meals/List of
Attendees: Enter business purpose of expenses. For business
meals, also list all attendees and state their business
relationship to Yale. Attach a separate sheet if necessary.
If the attendee names are not included the form will not
- Preparer Name/Email/Phone/Dept.: – LEAVE BLANK –
office staff will sign when reviewing form.
- Date: Fill in the date using the standard Yale Format:
DD-MON-YYYY. A two digit day, a three letter month and a
four digit year. (Example: May 2nd, 2003 is written –
02-MAY-2003). The date on the form should be the day you
bring it to the office.
- ER#: This is a Transaction Control Number (TCN), a unique
identifier which allows us to track each purchase requisition.
To obtain a TCN go to https://www-iisp1.its.yale.edu/tcn
At this location you will see two columns of form types
– select the radio button next to Employee Reimbursement
- select submit. Put the generated # onto the form. REMEMBER:
Use the number only once.
- Employee SSN: Your Social Security Number goes here.
- Travel Dates – From/To: If Expenses involve travel
enter the start and end dates of the trip.
- Expense Date/Item Description: Itemize expenses for which
reimbursement is requested. For non-travel items enter the
expense date. Do not list airfare if it was direct-billed
to the University.
AIR/RAIL: Enter dates and origin/destination.
Please submit your original receipt for your air/rail travel.
LODGING: Enter hotel name, nightly rate
and number of nights, include original paid receipt.
MILEAGE: Enter number of miles and multiply
by current mileage rate – see www.yale.edu/ppdev/Guides/bluepages.html
MEALS: Enter actual expenses or federal
per diem meals and incidental expenses (M&IE) rate for
the location, enter number of days of trip (prorate partial
days) and multiply to get total. Itemize alcoholic beverages
ALL OTHER EXPENSES: Indicate specific expense
and include original receipts.
- Project/Task/Award/Organization: This is your PTAEO. As
you see the number written the values are separated by a
period (example – 7855631.1.D00359.820100.648002).
Each segment gets its own space on the form – PLEASE
leave the Expenditure type space blank.
- Total Amount: The amount of the individual or group of
receipts. If currency conversion is necessary please allow
office to calculate amounts.
- Advance Amount/TEAR: If you have an outstanding advance,
enter the outstanding amount and the TEAR (Travel Expense/Advance
Request) number in the spaces provided.
- Balance Due Individual/Refund Due Yale: If there is no
outstanding advance, enter the amount owed to you on the
balance due individual line. If there is an outstanding
advance as entered in 12 above and the advance amount is
greater than the total expenses itemized on this ER, enter
the amount on the Refund Due Yale line and attach a check
payable to Yale University.
- Employee (Payee) Signature: You must sign the form. It
is a University requirement.