Yale University

Frequently Asked Questions



Do I meet the CT course requirements for a certificate in my subject area?
First review the course requirements, and then download and fill out a first draft of the appropriate form. For any courses that you are not sure about, gather the course descriptions from your university and email it to urbanteaching@yale.edu, along with your draft of the Certification Requirements Form.
Is your program open to candidates in Special Education, ESL/Bilingual, Art Education, Elementary Education, or anything else not listed in your program overview?
Do you offer classes at night or part-time?
Do you have fall or spring start dates?
No, the only start date each year is in June.
Do you accept applications from certified teachers? From international students?
I'm currently teaching in a school in or near New Haven. Can I continue teaching while enrolled in your program?
No. Our program is full-time and our candidates may not hold other employment that requires a significant time commitment.

Teaching Commitment

Can the teaching commitment be fulfilled in another urban area?
No, the two-year teaching commitment must be fulfilled in the New Haven Public School District.

Financial Aid

Is there financial aid available to candiates in your program?
Yes. Every student enrolled in our program automatically receives full financial support, which means a full tuition scholarship ($31,500 in 2008-2009) plus a room and board stipend ($25,500 in 2009-2010) and a health award that funds the full cost of a single student's Yale Health Plan Basic and Hospitalization/Specialty coverage.
How do I apply for financial aid?
There is no application. If you are admitted into our program you will automatically be awarded the full aid package.
Do I need to submit financial information with my online application?
Can candidates choose not to accept the financial support offered through the Urban Teaching Fellowship, and then not fulfill the teaching commitment or fulfill it outside of New Haven?
I have an outside fellowship that provides funding for graduate school. Will I still receive the full amount of the Urban Teaching Fellowship?
Yes. The amount of any funding you have outside of the Urban Teaching Fellowship does not affect the level of financial support you will receive from Yale University.
My question still hasn't been answered.
Email Program Administrator Kendra Mack at urbanteaching@yale.edu.



Can I take Teacher Preparation classes as a freshman?
In most cases, no. During some years there is a lecture course offered that is open to freshmen. Check the Blue Book for listings.
I'm not sure if I want to get certified. Should I still enroll?
Yes. If you enroll at the end of your sophomore year you will leave yourself the option of pursuing a certificate or other education coursework. You are not required to complete the program.
How do I enroll?
Make an appointment to meet with Professor Gillette in early April, and then you will receive the enrollment packet via email.
What is the deadline for enrollment?
It is announced each year, but usually falls on the final Friday before reading period in April.

Combining Teacher Prep with other Yale experiences

Can Teacher Prep be combined with any major?
Yes, but certain majors already fulfill the Connecticut certification requirements, whereas by pursuing other majors you will have to fulfill those requirements on top of your major and the Teacher Prep coursework.
What if I want to do Study Abroad?
The Teacher Preparation Program can be combined with a one-term Study Abroad in the spring of your Junior year.

Post-B.A. & Other Yale Grad Schools


If I'm applying to a Yale graduate or professional school (other than the MA in Urban Education Studies), should I apply to the Teacher Preparation Program at the same time?
No. We do not participate in your admission to Yale. You should contact Kendra Mack to set up a meeting with Professor Gillette after you have been admitted to one of the graduate or professional schools at Yale.

Program Options

What certificate programs are available to Post-B.A. applicants?
Only the secondary certification program. Post-B.A. applicants should also consider the MA in Urban Education Studies, which includes a certificate.
What is the difference between the secondary certificate-only program ("Post-B.A.") and the MA in Urban Education Studies?
Post-B.A.: your content area coursework does not have to be complete before you enter the program; application deadline is June 1; program starts in September; no funding from Yale is available; you can work full-time while pursuing the program; certification can be completed over the course of either 1 or 2 years; you may teach anywhere in CT following the completion of the program.
MA: content coursework must be complete (with certain exceptions) before you enter the program; application deadline is January 2; program starts in June; every student receives a full tuition scholarship and a room & board stipend; the program is intense and full-time and you may not hold another job while you are enrolled; MA and certification are completed in 14 months; you commit to teach in the New Haven Public Schools for two years immediately after completing the program.