remembering the war
- Paul Fussell, The Great War and Modern Memory (New York: Oxford University Press, 1975)
- Jay Winter, Sites of Memory, Sites of Mourning: The Great War in European Cultural History (Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1995).
- Building monuments, memorials and museums
— by families
— by local communities
— by nations
- Grief, loss and mourning
— families and communities
— ceremonies—national and local (e.g. Armistice Day, Veteran’s Day)
- Popular representations of the war, both during and in the decades after the war
— In literature (poetry, novels, etc.)
— In film
— In art
- Rajtar, Steve: War monuments, museums, and library collections of 20th century conflicts: a directory of United states sites (Jefferson, NC: MacFarland & Co, 2002) SML E745.R38X 2002
- Jean Renoir (dir.) Grand Illusion (1937). DVD, 111 min. Film Study Center.
- Lewis Milestone (dir.) All Quiet on the Western Front (1930). DVD, 132 min. Film Study Center.
- Siegfried Sassoon, Memoirs of an Infantry Officer (London: Faber & Faber, 1930) With the author’s manuscript notes and presentation inscription to Nellie Burton. Beinecke Library. BEIN GEN MSS 67.
- George Henry Nettleton (ed.), Yale in the World War (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1925) Manuscripts and Archives Reference Center. Ydd2 914 +925n 1.• P. G. Konody, Art and War, Canadian War Memorials; a selection of the works executed for the Canadian war memorials fund to form a record of Canada’s part in the great war and a memorial to those Canadians who have made the great sacrifice. (London. For the Canadian war records office by Colour, ltd., 1919) Beinecke Library. 1986 +68.
Cenotaph in front of University Dining Hall memorializing Yale men who died in World War I, 1914-1918.
- Europe—History, Military—20th century
- War—Psychological aspects
- War and civilization
- War and Literature
- War memorials—Europe
- World War, 1914-1918—Art and the War
- World War, 1914-1918—Europe—Psychological aspects
- World War, 1914-1918—Fiction
- World War, 1914-1918—Influence
- World War, 1914-1918—Literature and the War
- World War, 1914-1918—Monuments
- World War, 1914-1918—Registers of dead
- World War, 1914-1918—Veterans
Especially subheadings, eg.