Claudia is currently researching and writing her dissertation on the dissemination of Thucydides in 14th and early 15th century Italy. She is particularly interested in the question how Thucydides as a role model for how to write history influenced the development of Florentine Historiography from Leonardo Bruni to Niccolò Machiavelli.
Prof. Emily Greenwood, Prof. Angela Capodivacca
Classics, Renaissance Studies
Greek, Roman and Renaissance Historiography
"Artistic Reception of Aeneas' flight from Troy", in: R.F. Thomas, J.M. Ziolkowski (Eds.).
The Virgil Encyclopedia. Wiley-Blackwell, In Press.
- Book Review
Silvano (L.) (ed.) Angelo Poliziano. Appunti per un corso sull’Odissea. Editio princeps dal Par. gr. 3069. (Hellenica 37.) Pp. cxxiv + 384, pls. Alessandria: Edizioni dell’Orso, 2010. Paper, €50. ISBN: 978-88-6274-196-5. in: The Classical Review 62.1 (forthcoming)
Current Courses (teaching)
- Part Time Acting Instructor, Yale University
- Fall 2010: Elements of Latin Grammar (Introductory Level)
- Teaching Fellow, Yale University
- Spring 2011: Elements of Latin Grammar (Introductory Level)
- Spring 2009: Elements of Latin Grammar (Introductory Level)
- Fall 2009: Introduction to Greek History CLCV/HIST 205
- Teaching Assistant, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Germany
- Introduction to Greek Grammar, Introduction to Homer, Aeschylus Prometheus, Euripides Medea, Introduction to Greek Philosphy: Plato, Introduction to Ancient Greek Historiography: Herodotus and Thucydides
- "Angelo Poliziano’s Manto: A subtle quest for a flexible canon", Foundations of Modernity —
A Symposium on the Italian Renaissance, April 2009, New Haven, CT, USA
- "Perspectives on Power in Renaissance Historiographies",
AAIS annual conference, May 2009, New York, NYC, USA
- "Florentine Readings of Thucydides from Bruni to Machiavelli", Thucydides,
Our Contemporary?, June 28–29, 2012, University of Bristol, Great Britain
- "Lorenzo Valla's Translations of Thucydides and Herodotus", IANLS — International Association of Neo-Latin Studies, Triennial Meeting, August 5–10, 2012, Münster, Germany