Professor of Philosophy and Classics
She studied Classics and Philosophy at Cambridge, where she gained her BA (Classics) and M.Phil and PhD (Philosophy) degrees. She held research fellowships at St. Edmund’s College, Cambridge, and St. Hilda’s College, Oxford, and was Lecturer, then Reader, in Philosophy at King’s College London, prior to joining the Faculty at Yale in 2006. At Yale, she holds a joint position in Philosophy and Classics (office in Philosophy: Connecticut Hall). She will give the Whitehead Lectures at Harvard in April 2013 on the topic of Plato on the value of useless knowledge and idle pleasures.
Selected Recent Publications
- Plato on Parts and Wholes: the Metaphysics of Structure, Oxford: Clarendon 2002. Paperback edition, Oxford: Clarendon 2005.
- Aristotle and the Stoics Reading Plato, BICS Supplementary Volume, London: Institute of Classical Studies, co-edited by V. Harte, M.M. McCabe, R.W. Sharples, A. Sheppard. BICS Supplement 107. London: Institute of Classical Studies, School of Advanced Studies, University of London 2010.
- ‘Republic X and the role of the audience in art’, Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy 38, 2010, 69–96
- ‘What’s a Particular and what makes it so? Some thoughts, mainly about Aristotle’, Particulars in Greek Philosophy: The Seventh S.V. Keeling Colloquium in Ancient Philosophy ed. Robert W. Sharples, Leiden: Brill 2010, 97–125.
- ‘The Receptacle and the Primary Bodies: Something from Nothing?’, One Book, the Whole Universe: Plato’s Timaeus Today, ed. Richard D. Mohr & Barbara Sattler, Las Vegas: Parmenides Publishing, 2010, 131–40.
- "Platonic Metaphysics", The Oxford Handbook to Plato, ed. Gail Fine,
Oxford: OUP 2008, pp. 191-216.
- "Language in the Cave", Maieusis: Essays in Ancient Philosophy in Honour of Myles Burnyeat, ed. Dominic Scott, Oxford 2007, pp. 195-215.
- "Beware of Imitations: Image Recognition in Plato", New Essays on Plato,
ed. Fritz-Gregor Hermann, Swansea: the Classical Press of Wales 2006, pp. 21-42.
- "The Philebus on Pleasure: the good, the bad and the false", Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society II, 2003-4, pp. 111-28.
- "Conflicting Values in Plato’s Crito", Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie 81, 1999,
pp. 117-47. Reprinted in R. Kamtekar ed. Plato’s Euthyphro, Apology and Crito:
Critical Essays, Rowman and Littlefield 2004, pp. 229-59.23
Click here for CV and further publications