Yale University is a private research university founded in 1701 and located in New Haven, Connecticut. The university comprises three major academic components: Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and thirteen additional professional schools. In addition, Yale encompasses a wide array of centers and programs, libraries, museums, and administrative support offices. Approximately 11,250 students attend Yale.
Getting to New Haven:
Tweed-New Haven Airport (airport code HVN), is approximately four miles from the Yale campus. It is a small regional airport serviced by US Airways via Philadelphia. Taxis, buses, and rental cars are available at Tweed.
Other nearby airports include Bradley International Airport (BDL) in Windsor Locks, CT (53 miles to campus), LaGuardia International Airport (LGA) in New York City (72 miles to campus), Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in New York City (80 miles to campus), and Newark International Airport (EWR) in Newark, NJ (92 miles to campus).
Amtrak provides service from Newark airport to New Haven's Union Station. For all other airports, private shuttle services are available through Connecticut Limousine (800.472.5466) and GO Airport Shuttle (866.284.3247). Please be sure to make reservations for shuttle services well in advance.
Union Station is minutes from the Yale campus. Metro-North offers frequent train service between New Haven and New York City. For more information, select the link or call 800.638.7646. Amtrak provides train service to New Haven from Vermont, Providence, and Boston to the north, and from Washington, D.C., to the south, at prices that are competitive with air travel. Call 800.872.7245 or select the link for more information. Once you reach Union Station, we suggest that you use a local taxi service to reach the Yale campus. (There's a taxi stand at the station.) A taxi will cost about $10. Local shuttle and bus services are also available for travel between Union Station and Yale.
Parking in New Haven:
For those staying in New Haven hotels, leaving your car parked at the hotel will be the best option. Otherwise, there are usually free and metered parking options available depending on the day, time of day, and location you are looking to park. Please keep in mind, that in some locations, at specific times, parking is illegal and your car will be towed.
There are also several private parking garages within walking distance of the admissions office, indluding:
- The Yale Visitors lot at the corner of Whitney Avenue and Humphrey Street (266 Whitney Avenue; Lot 16V, $8/day, payable by cell phone)
- Audubon Court Garage (78 Audobon St.)
- Broadway, across from the Yale Bookstore (34 Broadway, New Haven, CT; near Old Campus where the tour ends)
Please visit the Yale visitor parking website for more information.
Hotels in the Area:
New Haven has several fine hotels and many outstanding restaurants. Hotels located on or around campus can be found listed at infoNewHaven.
Dining in New Haven:
There are several Halal/ Zabiha restaurants in and around New Haven, but please make sure to ask about individual items as some of these restaurants serve some non-Zabiha items. These restaurants include:
- Manhattan Gourmet - (203) 624-4888- 45 York St. Sandwiches, Premium Entrees, Crudites, and Appetizers.
- Sahara - (203) 773-3306- 170 Temple St (across from Omni Hotel). Mediterranean and American food, including shawarma, tabouli, etc.
- Aladdin Crown Pizza – (203) 773-3772- 260 Crown St (in between College and High). Mediterranean and American food, including shawarma, tabouli, etc.
- Chap's Grille – (203) 562-2966- 1174 Chapel St (corner of Chapel and Park). Mediterranean and American food, including shawarma, hamburgers, etc.
- Est Est Est – (203) 777-2059- 1176 Chapel St (corner of Chapel and Park). Italian food and pizza.
- Claire's Corner Copia – (203) 562-3888- 1000 Chapel St (corner of Chapel and College). This restaurant is "gourmet vegetarian," slightly expensive but very creative.
Aside from Halal options, New Haven is known for its award-winning international cuisine with diverse options available for every type of taste, budget, and appetite. More information about dining in New Haven can be found at infoNewHaven.