Old Art Gallery, 1928
Egerton Swartwout (1870-1943, B.A. 1891)
It is difficult to imagine Chapel Street today as Egertown Swartwout did in 1926. Swartwout's proposal for an Art Gallery to unite the University's then-scattered art holdings was to extend all the way along the length of Chapel Street from High Street to York Street. The design was not fully realized because of limited funding; Swartwout had planned for seventeen Italian Gothic arches, but only five were built. The architect's impact was still great, as the bridge connecting the building to Street Hall above High Street reframes the boundary between city and campus as no other Yale building does. Following the 2006 renovation of Louis Kahn's addition, the Swartwout portion is also scheduled to be renovated.