Street Hall, 1864
Peter B. Wight (1838-1925)
When first completed, Street Hall stood alone on the corner of Chapel and High Streets, a beacon of Yale's then-nascent engagement with New Haven that could, per a donor's wish, be entered either from the Old Campus or from the city sidewalk. When an upcoming renovation of the building is complete, though, visitors will be able to enter it from yet another side — the Yale University Art Gallery across High Street. The Art Gallery will expand across the bridge over High Street into Street Hall, filling the space left open after the History of Art Department moved to the Loria Center in 2008. The exterior of Street Hall will remain the same, though, with its restless, asymmetrical massing and its mix of dark and light stones.