Dwight Hall (Old Library), 1842-46
Henry Austin (1804-1891)
Henry Austin, who designed Dwight Hall, built more for the City of New Haven than for Yale itself his work for the Elm City includes its City Hall and the widely acclaimed gates of the Grove Street Cemetery. But his time in New Haven began at Yale, where he designed a brownstone-clad library that was converted into Dwight Hall in 1930. Austin's was the first building on campus designed in the Gothic Revival tradition, marking a significant departure from the Old Brick Row of the 18th century, and thereby setting the principal direction of campus architecture to this day.