Connecticut Hall, Old Brick Row, 1750-1752
President Thomas Clap (1703-1767)
The only surviving building from the Old Brick Row, Connecticut Hall is the oldest building on Yale's campus. Despite its name and long history, however, Connecticut Hall is in many ways a Harvard building its design is rooted in that of the 1720 Massachusetts Hall in Cambridge. Regardless, the dormitory that Clap built provided much-needed housing for Yale, and its construction marked the beginning of the entryway system at Yale. Ultimately transformed from a dormitory into a meeting hall and office space, Connecticut Hall was given a neighbor in 1925, McClellan Hall, which is so architecturally dependent on its twin that students have been known to cry out, "For God, for Country and for Symmetry."