Laboratory Access & Safety Policy
- Full details of Yale University policies regarding laboratory safety can be accessed here. For details on YUAL specific safety issues, go to the YUAL Chemical Safety Information page.
- You must inform the Laboratory Assistant before starting any work in the laboratories.
- No student is allowed to work alone in the YUAL facilities, to ensure assistance in case of emergencies.
- Familiarize yourself with the locations of emergency exits, phones, fire extinguishers, safety shower, eyewash stations, and spill response supplies before using any laboratory.
- Eating and drinking are prohibited in all Yale laboratories. In areas where eating and drinking are prohibited, food and beverages (including empty food and beverage containers) may not be stored, left or discarded. Therefore, within YUAL facilities, eating and drinking is not allowed in all laboratories, EXCEPT for the Clean Lab (10 Sachem St. Room 24) and the Visual and Spatial Technologies Lab (51 Hillhouse Room TBA).
- If you wish to use any chemicals, please refer to the Chemical Safety Information and Spill Response Protocol. Proper safety training and the use of protective clothing (minimum long pants, long sleeve lab coat, and closed toe shoes) is necessary when working with chemicals. This is true for any person working in a lab in which chemicals are being used. Please contact laboratory assistant for information on necessary safety training.
- Laboratories must be kept clean and organized at all times. Please clean up after each use.
- Individual laboratories may have additional policies posted. Please read and follow all posted laboratory policies.
- There are Yale policies regarding minors in university laboratories. Details are available here.